3 CE hours offered: Making Mindfulness Stick with Kids and Teens: A workshop for parents and professionals
February 23 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm PST$60
Making Mindfulness Stick with Kids and Teens: A workshop for parents and professionals
Join bestselling author, psychologist and consultant Dr. Christopher Willard in this one-day workshop on bringing mindfulness to kids, teens, and families. Dr. Willard will be sharing practices for parents and professionals to use themselves and take home to their children. We will explore the importance of our own practice, starting or deepening our own mindful self-care as caregivers. Mindfulness is more than just breathing, and so is this workshop. Participants should be prepared for a fun day learning and practicing mindfulness through awareness, movement, games, play, and creative activities for all ages.
We will discuss tailoring techniques to a range of kids issues, including learning differences, medical concerns, and mental health issues, for attention spans ranging from 30 seconds to 30 minutes.
– What is mindfulness, the neuroscience of mindfulness and compassion, playful breath practices
– Mindfulness for you the parent or professional, mindful eating and movement with kids
– Adapting mindfulness with games, movement, visualizations, sensory practices and more, along with some research
– Gaining buy-in and engagement from kids, integrating mindfulness into school/therapy/family life, short practices, technology, and compassion
Workshop fee: $60.00, which includes a Certificate of Completion for 3 hours for licensed psychologists, marriage and family therapists, mental health counselors, and social workers in Washington State. We can not guarantee that these CEUs will be accepted in other states.
- A limited number of scholarships are available per course. To apply for a scholarship, please review criteria and complete the application form at: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/mindful/237140 Note: Please complete your application at least 3 weeks before course. Applicants must wait to register for the course until a decision has been made in order to qualify.
About the facilitator
Dr. Christopher Willard (PsyD) is a psychologist and educational consultant based in Boston specializing in mindfulness. He has been practicing meditation for 20 years and leads workshops nationally and internationally. He currently serves on the board of directors at the Institute for Meditation and Psychotherapy, and is the president of the Mindfulness in Education Network. He has presented at TEDx conferences and his thoughts have appeared in the New York Times, The Washington Post, mindful.org, and elsewhere. He is the author of Child’s Mind (2010) Growing Up Mindful (2016) Raising Resilience (2017) and three other books. He has three children’s books forthcoming and teaches at Harvard Medical School.